Fontgombault

The abbey of Fontgombault, near Le Blanc in the Brenne regional natural park was founded in 1091 on the bank of the river Creuse. The abbey church is one of the largest in the Indre department.

400px-Fongombault2.jpg

The abbey had a chequered history - it was at the height of its influence in the 12th and 13th centuries, but its most lasting contribution to the history of the area came in the 15th century, when the monks began to farm fish, and created numerous lakes. The idea of deliberately farming fish soon caught on, and today there are more than 1,000 lakes in the Brenne natural regional park.

After the 15th century, the abbey was several times pillaged, passing from one owner to another, eventually becoming a military hospital at the start of the 20th century, before finally being acquired by a Benedictine order, who live there peacefully to this day.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License